Skip to main content

Winter Beauty

Snow, and Ice, and Freezing Temps Oh MY! It's been winter with a capital "W" here this week, and with the frigid weather comes dull and dry skin, but don't worry I'm all geared up to keep my skin healthy here in the dead of winter. Check out some of my recent beauty buys and long-time favorites! 

 I've always been a fan of trying new beauty products, especially from under-the-radar brands, hello Aztec Healing Clay! 

from Amazon

I first heard about this product back in November via The Zoe Report and read that after the first application it can cause major breakouts, so I waited for my holiday break to give it a go. I haven't experienced breakouts, but I have noticed a definite improvement to the clarity and tone of my skin. This comes as a powder, which you can mix with water or apple cider vinegar to create the "clay". Then apply for 10-15 minutes and wait for it to harden. I have yet to feel the "pulsating" session advertised on the back of the jar, but I'm fine not pulsating.  So yes to Aztec Healing Clay, it's become part of my weekly routine here in 2018!


I just read a slideshow from Refinery 29 on the benefits micellar cleansing water. I haven't hopped on board just yet, but I am considering this as a new makeup remover. 



This version from Simple is affordable, and a brand I already trust and use. Of course, this may be more of a summertime product. It's hard to give up on my cold cream during this dry skin season. 



#1 on my tried and true products list are these Acne Patches from Corsx.

via Amazon

I've been using these bad boys for several years and no other product has done so right by me in my adult years. I slap on a patch over a small bump before bed and in the morning all the gross crap has been sucked out! They really stop breakouts in their tracks! Highly recommended. 


Speaking of recommendations, have you tried some good old fashioned aloe vera gel?





This Fruit of the Earth gel is a great alternative to makeup primer, especially for sensitive skin. It also helps "prep" skin for moisturizers and provides soothing relief after overly harsh treatments like peels and deep exfoliating. Oh, and hello sunburn! 





One of my 2018 resolutions is to find a better foundation. First up, again from a Refinery 29 article--

Double Wear Nude Cushion Stick Radiant Makeup

Estee Lauder via Ulta

I'm on the fence so far. I think the coverage is okay, however, my skin has been pretty clear here as of late, so I'm waiting to see if it'll do right by me during my next big breakout... Also, using the cushion to blend causes flaking at the hair and jawline. However, I DO like that it needs little to no touch-ups throughout the day. But I'm not totally sold that his is my new go-to foundation. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Things

First: Isabel Marant's collocation for H&M debuts today in select stores AND online at noon, so you may want to get up on that.  Here are a few looks I'm lusting after. Hello mixed patterns!   Love the oversized coat and the detail on these jeans.   Patterned blazer, cropped colorful trousers, yes please!   Of course, I cannot partake in this collection with my Year Of No Shopping, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. So get ready to go by noon because I'm sure this noise will sell out fast.   Number Two: I'm thinking about a new haircut.  Something along the lines of Tilda Swinton .     What do we think? I'm not going to go blond, but I like the shorter/buzzed sides and back with length on the top. Mr. Keller is hesitant, he thinks it's too masculine, but I'm kind of in the mood to go a bit edgy and I've had the same cut now for two-ish years...  FYI: Tilda Swinton is my spirit animal!    

Nasty Gal

Since the weather has been horrible I've been consoling myself with online shopping. And have made my first purchase with Nasty Gal : Lacy Chiffon Blouse Yuma Studded Blouse Alva Knit Dotted Stud Blouse Apparently I'm having a button-up shirt craving. I think all three of these shirts could work with the sweater, which is an alternative to your basic pull-over and may be a bit too edgy for work. But, I'm thinking a conservative wool trousers would nicely balance it out.  And in writing this I've come to the realization that my work "uniform" for the rest of the winter will focus on mixing edgy pieces, (or items with unexpected details) with conservative basics.  That might not always actually happen, but it's a good starting off point in planning a week's office wear.  Okay, enough of my pontificating, go check out the sale over at Nasty Gal there are some great deals to be had.

Mid-Summer Sales!!!!

It's time for one of my all time favorite summer activities! No, not bbq and fireworks, but the mid-summer/4th of July sales!!! There are bargains to be had everywhere you turn and I've already scored some deals here this past week!  From Zara 's Sale: Waistband Trousers Oversized Tee From J.Crew : Linen Shorts Side-Slit Tee And a few pieces I'm thinking of from ModCloth : ModCloth T-Shirt Dress Chambray Tunic True, these pieces are a bit "basic" but I'm thinking of the 80/20 Wardrobe Plan . 80% of your closet serves as foundation/workhorse pieces with 20% consisting of statement, more fanciful items. Like this "coatigan" from Nasty Gal Wool Coatigan Just think how this coat/cardi hybrid will pop against the t-shirt dress above, and/or the grey pants and either t-shirt, for a solid 80/20 outfit!  Regardless of how you approach your mid-season shopping the point is to get up on the