Skip to main content

A Dress Question

I recently ordered this shirtdress from ModCloth:

thinking it would be a perfect work dress for this coming fall and winter. It's professional without being stuffy, has some texture with the clip dotted material, provides the kind of coverage I prefer, AND pockets! Alas, when it arrive the bust was WAY too tight, I could get it buttoned, but it was bordering on absence. Yes, I could have gone up a size, but maybe it's my vanity, or the fact that from my perspective my body is still in transition from having my baby... but I just didn't want to go up. So I returned it.  Looking back over my past ModCloth orders I've returned more things than I've kept over the past two years... and I'm starting to realize I've aged-out of ModCloth. 

But all is not lost, I've started digging into eShakti and I think my work dress conundrum will soon have a solution, but I need your help! Which dress? 

A.

This knit number is right up my alley with it's silhouette and rich jewel tone, plus it looks really easy to wear and a great dress to pair with boots and blazers. 


B.
Five years ago, heck two years ago, I would have been all over this celestial print, BUT even with all the eclipse mania I don't think this particular novelty pattern suits me. However I REALLY dig this silhouette, waistline, sleeves, and collar of this frock. Sign me up for this exact dress in a different print. 

 C.
Speaking of prints, hello polka-dots my old friend! The only thing I'd change here is the neckline. I'm more a V-neck lady, which IS an option with eShakti, you can customize necklines, sleeves, & lengths!


 D.

Love the retro feel of this dress! But I'm not so sure about the waist embellishments...


E.

I would opt for a midi hem on this frock. The neckline, sleeves, and print are all working for me, or are they? Those poppies seem a bit too bright, no? 

F.

Like the maxi above, this shift also sports a layered floral and dot print. I like that the sash belt is removable since  I'd style this with a leather or stretch belt to better cinch the waist. 


G.

Another maxi that I'd customized with a shorter hem. And, while I wasn't too crazy about the constellation pattern in dress B. above, I think a star pattern is more doable, it's closer to a polka dot than a novelty print. 


H.

Florals with birds in this choice, with another removable fabric belt, but this time rendered as a shirtdress. 



I'm sure you can see the theme here, dark background dresses with standard prints in midi lengths and sleeves, and of course pockets* They are very similar and I need some opinions on this one. Which dress? A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H!!! So many good options! Leave your choice in the comments! 


I also couldn't help but put this whimsical piece on my wishlist.....

Yep, a starry-print jumpsuit. I know I was all uppty about the celestial print of the second dress and now I'm thinking of spending dough on a very impractical jumpsuit.  But, it IS super cute, right? 


Thanks for voting! 


*I've decide I will no longer shop for dresses without pockets, they are essential for a busy woman like myself. And, if pants don't have proper pockets you can for get about it! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Things

First: Isabel Marant's collocation for H&M debuts today in select stores AND online at noon, so you may want to get up on that.  Here are a few looks I'm lusting after. Hello mixed patterns!   Love the oversized coat and the detail on these jeans.   Patterned blazer, cropped colorful trousers, yes please!   Of course, I cannot partake in this collection with my Year Of No Shopping, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. So get ready to go by noon because I'm sure this noise will sell out fast.   Number Two: I'm thinking about a new haircut.  Something along the lines of Tilda Swinton .     What do we think? I'm not going to go blond, but I like the shorter/buzzed sides and back with length on the top. Mr. Keller is hesitant, he thinks it's too masculine, but I'm kind of in the mood to go a bit edgy and I've had the same cut now for two-ish years...  FYI: Tilda Swinton is my spirit animal!    

A Little Rockabilly, A Little Punk Rock

How punk rock is this sweater?! I like how the pinkish color of the shirt is like a flesh tone, giving the idea of exposed skin while still being covered up . And these strands have a lovely drape.   sweater/skirt-Mikkat Market(similar here and here ), shirt-Nasty Gal(similar here ), heels- Nine West     This outfit is all about mixing up dynamics.  The leopard print pencil skirt is a major shout out to rockabilly-vixen- Bettie-Page -realness, while the shredded-backed sweater pays homage to my girl Nancy Spungen .  These two style mash-ups are brought together and softened by this soft and airy button-down shirt, which has its own amazing details with the collar tips.  Since there's a lot of references going on in this outfit I kept he shoes simple. Besides you usually can't go wrong with Mary Janes.     

Nasty Gal

Since the weather has been horrible I've been consoling myself with online shopping. And have made my first purchase with Nasty Gal : Lacy Chiffon Blouse Yuma Studded Blouse Alva Knit Dotted Stud Blouse Apparently I'm having a button-up shirt craving. I think all three of these shirts could work with the sweater, which is an alternative to your basic pull-over and may be a bit too edgy for work. But, I'm thinking a conservative wool trousers would nicely balance it out.  And in writing this I've come to the realization that my work "uniform" for the rest of the winter will focus on mixing edgy pieces, (or items with unexpected details) with conservative basics.  That might not always actually happen, but it's a good starting off point in planning a week's office wear.  Okay, enough of my pontificating, go check out the sale over at Nasty Gal there are some great deals to be had.