Skip to main content

New Styles & Old Habits

So... I've been thinking of exploring a more romantic/feminine style as I gear up for another year-long shopping hiatus (more on that to come). I'm looking toward fall and hoping to find a few dresses that push against my usual striped/androgynous/blazered aesthetic. Here's two I've picked up thus far. 

Floral Maxi Forever 21

I rarely wear maxi dresses. I think for busty gals like myself a maxi can obscure the figure, but this wrap version seems promising. And even though I'm not huge into florals, these dusty-pink roses against a black background aren't too busy and tend toward the romantic side that I'm trying out, stylishly speaking.

Just In Timeless Dress ModCloth

I've been thinking I sorely lack a versatile cute, printed dress that's a bit 90's-esque and I'm hoping this number will fit the bill, and be the kind of piece I can throw-on for work, dinner, church, whatever. Sure, I have my fair share of wear-anywhere striped shifts that get the job done, but it's time to try something new. We'll see how this frock fairs once it's delivered later this week. 

Textured Cotton Dress Mango

Okay, this knitwear dress is NOT a new aestheric for me, by any means. But, moreso a tried and true kind of piece I wear all the time. But I love me a black, pocketed, knit number and couldn't pass up this textrued version, which will be a mega go-to this coming winter. 


And speaking of sticking to my style wheelhouse, I also picked up this men's graphic tee becuase it was less than $10 and freakin' hilarious, amiright? 


Mens' Tee Forever 21



Going back to trying "new" things, I'm also eyeing up this vintage-feeling, normcore-esque flannel dress from The Vermont Country Store


Flannel Dress Vermont Country Store


Granted this company is right up my Grandma's alley, but looking towards a retail-free year come September, I feel like I need to stockup on some experimental items and this button-down dress is kind of fueling my 90s fantasties, which is ironic that I'm looking to explore new style, but doing so with a vintage sensibility. AND, I'm wondering if I'm "allowed" to dive into the 90s nostalgia stylistically since I DID sport his kind of thing unironically back in the day... deep thoughts, eh? I just wish it had pockets.... 

If I pull the trigger on buying this dress I'll let you know how it works out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Things

First: Isabel Marant's collocation for H&M debuts today in select stores AND online at noon, so you may want to get up on that.  Here are a few looks I'm lusting after. Hello mixed patterns!   Love the oversized coat and the detail on these jeans.   Patterned blazer, cropped colorful trousers, yes please!   Of course, I cannot partake in this collection with my Year Of No Shopping, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. So get ready to go by noon because I'm sure this noise will sell out fast.   Number Two: I'm thinking about a new haircut.  Something along the lines of Tilda Swinton .     What do we think? I'm not going to go blond, but I like the shorter/buzzed sides and back with length on the top. Mr. Keller is hesitant, he thinks it's too masculine, but I'm kind of in the mood to go a bit edgy and I've had the same cut now for two-ish years...  FYI: Tilda Swinton is my spirit animal!    

A Little Rockabilly, A Little Punk Rock

How punk rock is this sweater?! I like how the pinkish color of the shirt is like a flesh tone, giving the idea of exposed skin while still being covered up . And these strands have a lovely drape.   sweater/skirt-Mikkat Market(similar here and here ), shirt-Nasty Gal(similar here ), heels- Nine West     This outfit is all about mixing up dynamics.  The leopard print pencil skirt is a major shout out to rockabilly-vixen- Bettie-Page -realness, while the shredded-backed sweater pays homage to my girl Nancy Spungen .  These two style mash-ups are brought together and softened by this soft and airy button-down shirt, which has its own amazing details with the collar tips.  Since there's a lot of references going on in this outfit I kept he shoes simple. Besides you usually can't go wrong with Mary Janes.     

Nasty Gal

Since the weather has been horrible I've been consoling myself with online shopping. And have made my first purchase with Nasty Gal : Lacy Chiffon Blouse Yuma Studded Blouse Alva Knit Dotted Stud Blouse Apparently I'm having a button-up shirt craving. I think all three of these shirts could work with the sweater, which is an alternative to your basic pull-over and may be a bit too edgy for work. But, I'm thinking a conservative wool trousers would nicely balance it out.  And in writing this I've come to the realization that my work "uniform" for the rest of the winter will focus on mixing edgy pieces, (or items with unexpected details) with conservative basics.  That might not always actually happen, but it's a good starting off point in planning a week's office wear.  Okay, enough of my pontificating, go check out the sale over at Nasty Gal there are some great deals to be had.