Skip to main content

Lace & Pinstripes Inspiration

Over on Chictopia I came across this outfit inspiration from fellow member Danielle_M





And here's my take an an office outfit from last week!

























vest-Old Navy(jacket version here), shirt-Joseph Altuzarra for Target, skirt-Mikkat Market, necklace-J.Crew Factory(similar here), bracelet/rings-Jewel Mint, shoes-Forever 21(similar here)

The great thing about this outfit is that it's made up of pieces I've had for quite sometime, well over a year or two, which is one of the things I love about inspiration photos from other "real world" sources, they provide ideas that bring a newness to "old" garments. I'm also enjoying the mix of menswear with delicate pieces. A white lace skirt can be tricky to pull off, it's uber-fem AND can be vintage-y, which doesn't always jive with my modern androgynous aesthetic. Ideally, it's all about finding things to balance out those vibes, while still celebrating that vintage-fem feel. 

You can follow me on Chictopia here and check out the inspiration posts here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Things

First: Isabel Marant's collocation for H&M debuts today in select stores AND online at noon, so you may want to get up on that.  Here are a few looks I'm lusting after. Hello mixed patterns!   Love the oversized coat and the detail on these jeans.   Patterned blazer, cropped colorful trousers, yes please!   Of course, I cannot partake in this collection with my Year Of No Shopping, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. So get ready to go by noon because I'm sure this noise will sell out fast.   Number Two: I'm thinking about a new haircut.  Something along the lines of Tilda Swinton .     What do we think? I'm not going to go blond, but I like the shorter/buzzed sides and back with length on the top. Mr. Keller is hesitant, he thinks it's too masculine, but I'm kind of in the mood to go a bit edgy and I've had the same cut now for two-ish years...  FYI: Tilda Swinton is my spirit animal!    

A Little Rockabilly, A Little Punk Rock

How punk rock is this sweater?! I like how the pinkish color of the shirt is like a flesh tone, giving the idea of exposed skin while still being covered up . And these strands have a lovely drape.   sweater/skirt-Mikkat Market(similar here and here ), shirt-Nasty Gal(similar here ), heels- Nine West     This outfit is all about mixing up dynamics.  The leopard print pencil skirt is a major shout out to rockabilly-vixen- Bettie-Page -realness, while the shredded-backed sweater pays homage to my girl Nancy Spungen .  These two style mash-ups are brought together and softened by this soft and airy button-down shirt, which has its own amazing details with the collar tips.  Since there's a lot of references going on in this outfit I kept he shoes simple. Besides you usually can't go wrong with Mary Janes.     

Nasty Gal

Since the weather has been horrible I've been consoling myself with online shopping. And have made my first purchase with Nasty Gal : Lacy Chiffon Blouse Yuma Studded Blouse Alva Knit Dotted Stud Blouse Apparently I'm having a button-up shirt craving. I think all three of these shirts could work with the sweater, which is an alternative to your basic pull-over and may be a bit too edgy for work. But, I'm thinking a conservative wool trousers would nicely balance it out.  And in writing this I've come to the realization that my work "uniform" for the rest of the winter will focus on mixing edgy pieces, (or items with unexpected details) with conservative basics.  That might not always actually happen, but it's a good starting off point in planning a week's office wear.  Okay, enough of my pontificating, go check out the sale over at Nasty Gal there are some great deals to be had.